“ Industry players have long waited for a president to take actions in minimising bureaucracy, corruption, and other challenges that has hampered businesses for several years. ”
I founded the company in 1995 where we had to manufacture our products from the vicinity of our homes without the use of cutting-edge equipment. I utilised my background in chemical engineering to start the company and as such resulted in our wide array product portfolio. In 2000, we began exporting our products to the United States and Japan and thus I utilised the funds from this venture to purchase a factory site. Our company is able to obtain a net profit of 5 billion IDR every month and this is partially due to Motto Beringin Abadi’s efficient business operations; this success reflects our hard work to achieve this milestone. Motto Beringin Abadi currently employs a total of 150 staff members which assist in manufacturing 22 types of products in personal care such as shampoo, lotion and household goods.
In understanding the local market’s demand for entrepreneurial opportunities, I developed the ‘Motto Curah’ programme which adopts a multi-level marketing concept. Through this programme, we are able to provide Indonesians with the opportunity to partake in the sales industry and essentially encourage them to become entrepreneurs. Furthermore, our ‘Motto Curah’ initiative enables us to reach a significant share of the market given the competitive prices and quality of our products in addition to teaching local communities on how to conduct business. This business concept contributes to 70% of our total sales while the remaining 30% derives from our manufacturing arm. Through our contract manufacturing services, we have produced household goods for Indomaret, Yogya, Carrefour as well as enabled us to reach markets in Africa, Seychelles, the United States, Yemen, Afghanistan, and the Philippines.
Moreover, product innovation is the core for our line of work. At Motto Beringin Abadi, we continue to uphold the principle of innovation for our product types and packaging. As such, we are looking to develop a whitening cream which is a highly sought-after product in the domestic market; this plan is in-line with our corporate goal to meet market demands.
The products that we offer are considered basic supplies and thus despite the slowdown in the economy and consumer spending, our company has not been largely impacted. Moreover, in spite of the economic conditions, members of our ‘Motto Curah’ programme are able to provide for their families due to our company’s developed marketing strategy, budget-conscious prices, and wide-ranging product variety. Our company’s business concept has helped families in war-stricken countries such as Libya and Yemen.
In terms of exports, we have experienced some impact resulting from the various events taking place in the Middle East as well as greater competition from China. However, this has not hindered our company’s growth because Chinese companies have also reached out to us for our high-quality products. In general however, I remain highly optimistic about our company’s outlook for the near future.
In my opinion, President Joko Widodo has made incredible progress since starting his term and numerous businessmen continue to praise his efforts. Many industry players have long waited for a president to take actions in minimising bureaucracy, corruption, and other challenges that have hampered businesses for several years. In spite of his extensive efforts, obstacles remain at bay namely due to debureaucratisation at the local and regional levels.
We are looking to increase our participation at exhibitions given the number of businesses that are in attendance during these events. Furthermore, we are able to showcase our leading products to a wider audience while also providing us with the opportunity to directly engage with business owners. In doing so, we would thus be able to expand our distribution network. We will utilise these expos and exhibitions in order to also boost sales in the ASEAN region.
While we understand the importance of working with international companies, our company is careful when choosing to initiate joint ventures. As a company looking to establish long-term cooperation, we have to ensure that any prospective partner is the most suited for Motto Beringin Abadi. Should we be presented with an ideal opportunity, we will certainly pursue it, however, we are not looking to initiate any partnership should that situation not arise.
We hope that companies looking for a local partner to manufacture their household and personal care products will remember Motto Beringin Abadi for its competitive pricing, health & safety standards, and high-quality products. Furthermore, we are also aiming to widen our network reach in an effort to better distribute our products to the international market.